There are a few different ways you can move a WordPress website. There are also different reasons you might want to. Maybe you have multiple businesses that you want to separate, or your website has been facing performance issues. No matter the reason, we can help you understand how you can do it easily.
In this blog article, we will go through how you can make this process as simple as possible.
- How you can use duplicator plugin tools
- Pros and cons of moving a WordPress Website with a duplicator tool
- Benefits it can bring to your business
How you can use a duplicator plugin
There are many different plugin tools available for you to install on WordPress. Which one you choose is up to you. Most of them work in the same sort of way. Whether you want to move your website to a new server completely or a different location within the same server, we can help.
A great way to start any movement of websites is by backing up your data. Backup all of your images, files, plugins, everything on your database. You’ll be happy you did if something went wrong. If this is the first time you’ve ever done something like this, mistakes are more likely to happen.
Keeping your domain name and URL
Firstly, if you want to keep your domain name and its URL, the process is relatively manageable and basic to follow. All you have to do is copy your database files over. If anything changes when you do this, then go into the configuration settings to edit.
Changing your domain name and URL
On the other hand, if you want to change your domain name and URL, the procedure is a little bit different.
- Start with downloading all of your files that are already on the site.
- After this, with whatever duplicator plugin you use, you’ll have to export your database.
- Open up a new file. Your site files should be moved into here. This is making sure that all your files do not get lost. Put the folder somewhere safe and easy to find.
- Next, you’ll have to login in to you WordPress Website. From here, open your settings and go into ‘General’. In this area you can change your URL. A 404 page may appear.
- Go and redownload all of your website files from your safe folder.
- Follow step 2 again – export your database.
- Edit the ‘wp-config.php’. This should be with the new servers name, user and its password.
- Reupload all of your files.
- Get your old database, and import it to the new server.
There are a lot of little things that could go wrong in this process. It really depends how you follow it and what plugins you have used. It is best to visit the WordPress website to get a full step by step guide if you are struggling.
Changing directories is a little more complicated. The support blog we’ve linked could help you.
Pros and Cons of using Duplicator plugin
Using the Duplicator plugin is great. It is one of the best on WordPress to use. With this specific one, there are many pros and cons that come with it.
• You get given a step-by-step guide to follow, making it relatively simple for you.
• All of the main and predominant features are free to use. Upgrades can cost money.
• Backups can be scheduled automatically, meaning you don’t have to mess around each time you want your site to be backed up.
• Although many backups are automatic, manual ones are also an option.
• The migration of all of your data is very secure when you use the Duplicator plugin.
• Beginning the transfer of your WordPress website using the Duplicator tool can be intimidating. If you have never done something like this before it may seem quite difficult at first.
• The whole process of uploading all of your files may be quite tedious. This is especially for larger sites. Also, if your internet connection isn’t great you might struggle.
• Like we mentioned above, most features are free. However, there is a fee of $59 per year if you choose to upgrade.
Benefits to your business
There are a whole host of business benefits when using the Duplicator tool. Obviously, your website being easily duplicated is the main benefit. However, there numerous more that you should know about.
• Expert support is always available when you use this tool. When the plugin is initially installed, you are given a step-by-step guide on what to do. Contacting the team who created the plugin is easy. There are also many resources online that give you a walk through on how to accomplish the task.
• Email notifications will be an available option when you change your site around. They can alert you when something has happened, so you can change it immediately.
• Inside of the Duplicator plugin, there is an integrated transfer to any cloud storage of your choice. Some examples could include Dropbox or Google Drive.
• There is a ‘Database Creation’ section built right into the installer.
In conclusion, using a duplicator plugin is extremely helpful to any business. It makes the movement of a WordPress website straightforward and facile. Although there are many plugin options to choose from, we believe that the ‘Duplicator’ one is the best. It brings a whole host of benefits to your business and keeps it easy for you to control.
If you need any more help with this, contact us on the McCall Media Ltd website.